Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

The Darjeeling Limited

The Darjeeling Limited

Date: Jul 20 2021

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Sometimes one of the stars of a movie is the place it’s filmed. Think about a movie like Amélie. Could it have been filmed anywhere but Paris?

Mason and Marni are at the mall and being there reminds Mason how boring life in your hometown can be. He really wants to travel somewhere, but sometimes it’s hard to get away. So Marni recommends The Darjeeling Limited, a movie about three brothers who ride a train together across India.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Marni

Marni

Mason:  Man, hanging at the mall makes me realize how much I need to get out of this town or country or something. I don’t know.

Marni:  I’ve been thinking about traveling so much. In fact, specifically, going to Asia and countries I’ve wanted to go to or countries I’ve never thought of…But I was wondering, have you been to India?

Mason:  India? No. What made you think of that?

Marni:  Well, I just saw The Darjeeling Limited...

Mason:  Oh yeah!

Marni:  And I never even thought about India until I saw that film, and I’m dying to go there now.

Mason:  Beautiful film, right?

Marni:  It was so beautiful. The colors were just so rich. It was captivating.

Mason:  I thought that was a really interesting movie because I love that director, right?

Marni:  Wes Anderson?

Mason:  And all of his films, he creates this little world for himself and it’s just kind of like, “Yeah, maybe I’ve been there, but it’s also different?”

Marni:  Right. I was wondering is it like…Are we just so…I mean obviously, you’re a fan, I’m a fan of his as well, and I’m so attracted to his films and I wonder what it is about them. Is it the visual element, is it the characters he creates…

Mason:  They’re kind of cartoony.

Marni:  They’re kind of cartoony but they’re all messed up and none of them are perfect and they have their quirks, but it’s sort of attractive. You root for the underdog.

Mason:  I guess. Well what was interesting about this film in relation to Wes Anderson’s others is, like, yeah, it kind of had elements of Wes Anderson creating his own thing, but he was out there in India. Which is like, “Oh wow, place I’d like to go.”

Marni:  Me too.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Having a dull time at the mall makes Mason and Marni dream of exotic places. Specifically, Marni has had India on the brain since seeing The Darjeeling Limited, a film that takes place there.

The movie is directed by Wes Anderson, who Mason says usually takes a lot of control over the settings of his films. For that reason it’s interesting to see him make a movie in a place he can’t manipulate so easily.

What’s your favorite movie about traveling? Is there a place that a movie has made you want to visit?

Comments

chris

chris

China

BEAUTIFUL MOVIES

11:53 PM May 13 2008 |

jana.czech

jana.czech

Czech Republic

Oh yes, I really wished to travel to a country after watching a movie – the movie was The White Masai, and the country was Kenya ;-)))))!!! (who has seen it, understands… LOL).  And the Besson´s The Big Blue is great too.

08:22 PM May 13 2008 |

chris

chris

China

I LIKE IT

12:13 AM May 12 2008 |

ghost_rider88

Egypt

I've watched this film on my computer and u can't imagine how it took me away from my room …i felt that i'm in INDIA …the environment,the characters, the vision….the whole film was very interesting…eventhough the story wasn't very deep…but any way i like it.

09:05 PM May 11 2008 |

jana.czech

jana.czech

Czech Republic

Is there a place that a movie has made you want to visit?

I have this experience with books, not with a movie. Several years ago I read many books about the Impressionists. I wished to go to Paris, to visit the places where they lived and feel all the atmosphere there… Well, it definitely was just a romantic dream :)))! Paris is a wonderful city, but crowds of tourists were all what I found when I really realized my dream. I learned that it is better to keep your dreams, they are usually nicer that the reality.

Oh yes, now I remeber!!! There really was one movie which maked me feel like visiting a country!!! It was The White Masai, LOL!!! ;)

01:26 PM May 11 2008 |

heynana

heynana

China

Out of Africa, definitely made me wanna go to Africa, a place with rich color and real life

12:15 PM Nov 29 2007 |

chengyunqing

China

just lestien it

12:38 AM Nov 28 2007 |

suksesalways

Malaysia

Smile

04:19 PM Nov 27 2007 |

ygcl

ygcl

China

What  a  pity! I haven't seen the film you talk about.

04:48 AM Nov 27 2007 |

Jody_sui

Jody_sui

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

Add me,I am the forever of you!

04:40 AM Nov 27 2007 |

Lizzy☆

China

SmileI am going to see the film.

03:47 AM Nov 27 2007 |

TANNY

China

indian a mystic county . i dying to  go there

03:26 AM Nov 27 2007 |

chris

chris

China

hello.my name is chris.i want to make friends with anyone ,welcome to china ,chinese is very warmly for you ,welcome to travel and busseness,

02:52 AM Nov 27 2007 |

chris

chris

China

hello.my name is chris.i want to make friends with anyone ,welcome to china ,chinese is very warmly for you ,welcome to travel and busseness,

02:52 AM Nov 27 2007 |

死猪

死猪

China

I'll see the film…

09:14 AM Nov 26 2007 |

chris

chris

China

i like movies,but that always going to see when i am a chaild,now i always watch in TV,saving time and money.

05:38 AM Nov 26 2007 |

morena_bee

Tunisia

I’d love to go to India!

09:24 PM Nov 25 2007 |

inaa

Albania

now i’m bored and i really need to go away maybe i have to see this film

07:15 PM Nov 25 2007 |

jiajiahappy

China

hello,may i make friends with you?