What are Modal Verbs?
Modal verbs are special verbs which behave very differently from normal verbs. Here are some important differences:
1. Modal verbs do not take "-s" in the third person.
- He can speak Chinese.
- She should be here by 9:00.
2. You use "not" to make modal verbs negative, even in Simple Present and Simple Past.
- He should not be late.
- They might not come to the party.
3. Many modal verbs cannot be used in the past tenses or the future tenses.
- He will can go with us. Not Correct
- She musted study very hard. Not Correct
Common Modal Verbs
|Ought to |