Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Barack, baby!

Barack, baby!

Date: May 20 2008

Themes: News, Tech

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

People love to share opinions on English, baby!. A few days ago, a reporter for the biggest newspaper in our home state of Oregon wrote an article about the opinions expressed on this site about the 2008 US presidential election and polls of English, baby! members that show Barack Obama as the favorite candidate among the people of the world. Jason gave Mason a call to talk about it.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Mason

Mason

Jason

Jason

Mason:  Hey Jason, what’s up?

Jason:  Hey, what’s up, man? Did you see the paper yet today?

Mason:  Yeah, man. I couldn’t believe it. That’s crazy! I didn’t even know, actually, that there was such amazing participation from the English, baby! community on voting to see what they were thinking about the election this year.

Jason:  Yeah, it seems like everyone kind of has an opinion about it which is…

Mason:  It’s almost a surprise that it’s such a big deal to the international community.

Jason:  Yeah, especially at this stage when it’s not even down to the final two candidates yet. But they’re just on top of it. I always love to hear from them about current events, whether it’s the earthquake in China or the election or anything. I hope it’s a sign on the times that our media is paying attention to what they have to say. I hope that means that we’re kind of growing more conscious about what the world thinks about us.

Mason:  Definitely. I think the media is paying way more attention to all the different social sites out there where the public in general can share their voice and you can get a sense from the group. Yeah, I mean, the problem is there’s just so many voices you need places where those voices can kind of be synthesized into, into like data you can actually digest, which is why that poll was so cool. It gives you a really quick view of a large group of people, but it’s simple information.

Jason:  Yeah, I’m glad it meant something to the American media, too, you know? I hope I continue to see stuff like that. Right on, man, I just wanted to see if you saw that.

Mason:  Yeah, it was totally crazy. It made my day.

Jason:  Cool, well I’ll talk to you later.

Mason:  Alright. Bye.

Jason:  Bye.

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Mason hadn’t noticed the buzz about the election on Ebaby!. He and Jason are amazed by it, especially considering that the election is still six months away.

Jason loves to check in with what’s going on in the world via Ebaby! He thought it was interesting to see everything that was posted about the recent earthquake in China.

But both Mason and Jason are excited that an American newspaper is interested in what the Ebaby! members have to say. They’d like to see the US have better communication with the world and this seems like an indication that that might be happening.

Were you surprised to learn that world opinion is playing a big part in our election?

Comments

Dmaz

Dmaz

Russian Federation

I think that the us is in deep shi.t oh in deep debt i ment!

the desteny of the us doesnt depend on one man wether he says ‘yes we can’ or ‘no im a gay’, the country is going to the dogs and even farer, and only blind one cannot see it.

03:40 PM May 14 2011 |

azer.207

Azerbaijan

hello all !
Cool

07:12 AM Jan 21 2009 |

azer.207

Azerbaijan

hello all !
Cool

07:12 AM Jan 21 2009 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

This site is very good way say your own opinion at international subject, and talking each other English language. I volt Obama and I did happy when he won this election. 

04:28 PM Dec 23 2008 |

miffoo

miffoo

Slovakia

This site is very good way say your own opinion at international subject, and talking each other English language. I volt Obama and I did happy when he won this election. 

04:28 PM Dec 23 2008 |

Ewcik

Ewcik

Poland

This site gives people an opportunity to broaden the skills and abilities .Apart from this we can join in international issues .Great isn't it?

11:17 AM Nov 08 2008 |

pastelGIRL

American Samoa

This early, i really can't tell which i would side with, but i am leaning towards obama. Furthermore, the GOP base is not even warming up to mccain (of course, i could be wrong) and even though it's still early in the game, this just proves to show how we see our candidates to-date. i know i will get burned for this, but i think mccain is a warmonger. i get the impression that he doesn't care to what happens to our troops in the middle east and the other parts of the world. Can’t we just all get along? i think it is time for a purification; i think it is time for a change; i think it is time for obama time. Now that the candidates are set for the US Presidential Election, Barack Obama and John McCain are beginning to set the tone for their campaign, 

well i guess that the election is getting warmer now as the presidential candidates have their strongest VP candidates. this early i saw in pollclash that Joe Biden has now been officially introduced as Barack Obama's Vice Presidential selection.well you can see the video in http://pollclash.com/?id=166

02:14 PM Sep 22 2008 |

adams-net

adams-net

Morocco

i think that obama has a big chance to be a presedent than McCain!!

10:35 PM Jul 04 2008 |

Viciously

Zambia

Hi there,

I think it's good that people's openions and expressions are been taken into consideration.

I hope obama wins the elections and goes ahead to be the next American president so that the American dream is finally realized. Obama is the American dream that is at last coming to life and thank God America will live it's dream.

It's high time America changed and no one is going to make that change but American people themselves.

Good luck America!!! 

02:30 PM May 26 2008 |

Viciously

Zambia

Hi there,

I think it's good that people's openions and expressions are been taken into consideration.

I hope obama wins the elections and goes ahead to be the next American president so that the American dream is finally realized. Obama is the American dream that is at last coming to life and thank God America will live it's dream.

It's high time America changed and no one is going to make that change but American people themselves.

Good luck America!!! 

02:30 PM May 26 2008 |

Dmaz

Dmaz

Russian Federation

Barrack is more proper for american-russian affairs, McCain is worst

04:23 AM May 25 2008 |

tranhoani

tranhoani

China

Yeah, MSN is so important to us. I wanna chat with friends from all over the world, but i haven't found one yet. What should i do?

03:24 AM May 25 2008 |

Abajah

Djibouti

it`s so good to see that the leader of politic in world have their eyes on young people whom try to learning something as english. i hope to see the leader reestart to learning with us….

05:17 PM May 24 2008 |

sicofelid

Uganda

shit

02:00 PM May 24 2008 |

VOLTS

VOLTSSuper Member!

Brazil

very interesting

12:28 AM May 24 2008 |

VOLTS

VOLTSSuper Member!

Brazil

I dont believe that Americans have interest about another opnions.

It is noticed for your president. World people hate Bush.

Get out Bush, quickly.

12:26 AM May 24 2008 |

refugeeboy19y

Liberia

Hi, please reply through As new brand day has come, I give God all the glory and I return all the praises to him, Where there is life , there is hope. No dream is gone until death cometh. My name is Abraham Davies living comfortably here, but not working here i am a refugee here in west Africa Ghana but a Liberian, I am 20 year old good looking "hamson boy" with MANY loves, my first, of course, being penpalling!I adore LOOKING, I am seeking pals who want a friend or more, and lasting relationships… , One is not bound to have all the joys in life. You may have everything in life but there are still those things which one may needed that seems very common to others and yet it kept on giving hard times.Everyone has his or her own share of pains to bear in life. I've got mine and you've got yours.But we need to lean on each other to keep life smooth going, So if this sounds good to you, please don't hesitate to send me an e-mail telling me about yourself, and maybe we can be good friends! Looking forward to hearing from you SOON. Thanks Mr.Abraham Davies. Africa, E-MAIL

07:35 PM May 23 2008 |

alesander

alesander

Portugal

idont really care about america

08:23 AM May 22 2008 |

ameur

ameur

Algeria

Thank you for this important dialogue, on this particular subject.

09:52 PM May 21 2008 |

ameur

ameur

Algeria

Thank you for this dialogue, which speaks from the media and his role in human life.
All we want is that the media turn positive. In the transfer and tell the truth. Whether newspapers or television or the Internet, etc. ...
The world knows the truth from falsehood.
The opinion in the next President of the United States of America.
We want the President believes in just peace and real … really wants peace and deployment of the defence of freedoms and the right of peoples to life …. We do not want wars and assassinations killed and the name of freedom and democracy …
We all know how to be peace in the world.
Believe. Person or president to peace in his heart and his faith in the people the right to life.
Any that was black or white or a Jew or a Christian ..
Important. Faith in peace and the desire for freedom fair.
Thanks.

09:47 PM May 21 2008 |

Likes (46):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: