Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Reading Books

Reading Books

Date: Oct 24 2008

Themes: Hobbies, School

Grammar: Comparing Quantity

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

In today’s fast-paced culture, many people may feel like they’re too busy to read a book. In fact, a recent survey found that reading rates are falling in the US. Young people in particular are more likely to spend their free time watching TV or surfing the Internet than reading a novel or nonfiction book. According to the survey results, the average 15- to 24-year-old living in the US spends 2 hours per day watching TV, and only 7 minutes reading for pleasure.

Considering all the high-tech forms of entertainment out there, from video games to cyberspace, maybe it’s not surprising that fewer people read these days. But is reading just an old-fashioned pastime, or is it a lost art? Listen to what Marni and Jason think about reading.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  I’m reading the most incredible book right now, and I can’t even imagine not having that in my life, like not loving reading.

Jason:  Wow. Yeah, yeah. So you’re one of those that always has a book going no matter what?

Marni:  Oh yeah. Even, like, sometimes you get super-busy and like I’ll stop for a while and I’ll just, you know, like…But I know it’s there and I make time for it because it’s…it’s so important. I love reading. Yeah.

Jason:  Totally. It’s just surprising to me that there are people who just…years go by and they don’t read a book. I guess they’re just reading newspapers and websites and stuff…Or…

Marni:  Or not reading, which could be even…That’s even more alarming.

Jason:  It’s just interesting ‘cause it’s like, you’d think if you write a book you could like affect the culture. But I guess you’d only affect the small portion of the culture that actually reads books. Ya know?

Marni:  Let’s change that.

Jason:  But what’s the…what’s appeal of reading books? Like how can we sell it to people over like…Like what do you enjoy about reading a book over watching a movie or something?

Marni:  Getting absorbed into a story whether it’s true or not. I mean, I’m reading the most incredible nonfiction book right now called Three Cups of Tea, and it’s… it’s a New York Times bestseller. And it’s incredible and it’s, you know, it’s the most inspiring book that I’ve read, because this man, this real guy, goes into these countries that are completely impoverished and he builds schools. And it’s totally inspiring and I can’t imagine not wanting to know that story.

Jason:  But what makes it better in book form than in documentary film form?

Marni:  Well, documentary film form, it’s like it’s, you know, it’s visual. It’s there. But, like, a book…Actually, you know as a teacher I actually teach kids how to read.

Jason:  Yeah.

Marni:  And part of it is, like, creating pictures in your mind, like creating a story in your mind. So you’re getting the words and you, you know, have this vision of it. And oftentimes, when books are translated into film it’s not as good as, like, the picture you’ve created in your mind. Because if a book is written well, the words are so rich…It’s better.

Jason:  Yeah. Totally.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparing Quantity" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni is in the middle of a great book and loves to read. Jason is impressed that Marni reads so much, even when she’s busy.

Jason is surprised by how many people don’t read books. Even people who read other things, like magazines or websites, might not make time to read a whole book.

Marni describes the book she’s reading right now, a true story about a man who builds schools in poor countries. She’d rather read about this story in a book than see a documentary film about it because reading makes you use your imagination more than watching a movie does.

What was the last book you read? Did you enjoy it? What did you like about it? Do you prefer reading books, watching movies, or surfing the Internet?

Comments

Sami Aswad

Sami Aswad

Iraq

I’m not a reading lover , I’ve read only 2-3 books in my life may be that was becoz I was so busy with studying medicine ! , I like ducomentaries more , still I guess reading books is really imp , and I should start reading !

07:21 AM Apr 03 2016 |

senyanya

senyanya

Russian Federation

Last book that I read was ‘Le Petit Prince’.I really enjoy it because it’s one of my favorite books.This book like fairy reallity,it’s about boring adults that are lonely.All their live consists of digits,they forget about real valuables.It’s sad,but true.
I prefer reading books to TV ot the Internet,because it’s more usefull.We just use our imagination.

02:34 PM Dec 17 2012 |

Nina_Smith

Nina_Smith

Australia

it’s my favorite too,i love it.

12:25 PM Sep 27 2012 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i read books much,in all night before my sleep,or,when i don’t have mood i read books a lot.

09:08 AM Sep 16 2012 |

Daydreameririna

Russian Federation

Could you recommend me an English book of intermediate lavel?

03:30 PM May 14 2012 |

Daydreameririna

Russian Federation

The last book which I’ve read was Crimq and Punishment. I enjoyed it. I like reading books but I have not so much time for it. 

03:27 PM May 14 2012 |

Алина Татиева

Kazakhstan

The last book I read was “The Master and Margarita”.I did enjoy it. It is fantastic and interesting book. I like read a book and then watch movie.

08:50 AM Jul 30 2011 |

1 person likes this

wladimir_anderson

Brazil

I can not imagine my life without books. Most of people I know don’t like to read books, they talk to me: Why are you spending time reading books? And I answer : Why do you not do the same?

PS. I agree with the sentence of Jonathas de Almeida

12:16 AM Jun 06 2011 |

indahpagi

Indonesia

I’m too..reading a book is my like. U can improve uy mind map knowlarge in ur brain

03:09 AM May 26 2010 |

JOnathas de ALmeida

Brazil

Recently I'm spending more time reading, and it has add many things in my life. Like once a heard "A person who doesn't read books, it's like a computer without internet."

02:05 PM Feb 13 2010 |

saied_elgarhey

Egypt

Hi

12:49 PM Jan 16 2010 |

rykinlong

rykinlong

Hong Kong

Without reading, civilization would disappear in one generation. . .

09:53 AM Jan 10 2010 |

suderin

Belize

Reading is learning…

11:11 AM Oct 23 2009 |

nooor105

Kuwait

I have a question, how many books does the poor, average , and excellent reader read a month? 

10:47 AM Oct 15 2009 |

arare

arare

Turkey

the last book which i have read was The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy. the author has collected five books in a thick book i mean it seems like  encyclopaedia.but in it there are lots of odd things which you cannot imagine, it is certainly interesting and i wanna advice this book who wants to read the author of the book is Douglas Adams

01:20 PM Oct 30 2008 |

Temka

Temka

Mongolia

it is good lesson i did all the quiz correctly . i like it now i know a lot of new words

Smile thank youSmile

01:03 PM Oct 30 2008 |

deepalijain

India

I like to.read…but i don't have much time for it…because i don't 2 kids…but whenever get a chance i go to library & bring a nonfiction book..

09:51 PM Oct 29 2008 |

EstebanM

EstebanM

Colombia

Books, and readers for ever!

07:09 PM Oct 29 2008 |

natashama07

China

In this fast-paced society,it's kind of hard to have time to read books constantly.actually I prefer read book than watch TV.but I finally choose to surfer on line to get the informations I need,it's fust easier and faster.I just started to re-read the novel"The farewell to arms" on the website.It's just incredible and I never get bored whenever read it.

01:14 PM Oct 29 2008 |

Lynn China

China

Yes,Reading can make a person be reasonable.

04:57 AM Oct 28 2008 |

Likes (45):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast