Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Cat Power

Cat Power

Date: Feb 16 2009

Themes: Alternative

Grammar: Phrasal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

The indie singer/songwriter Chan Marshall, who performs as Cat Power, has a great voice. But what exactly what makes a voice great? It’s more than the ability to stay in tune or hit a wide range of notes. A singer can be technically very skilled and have a really sweet or powerful voice. But if they’re missing that little something extra, they’ll still only be good…even very good…but not great.

Cat Power doesn’t sound like anyone else. As soon as you hear one of her songs, you instantly know it’s her, even if you’ve never heard that particular song before. Maybe that’s what makes her voice great: it’s unique.

Devan and Beren both love Cat Power. They’ve also both seen her perform live. But their experiences were really different. Listen to them talk about one of their favorite singers.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Devan

Devan

Beren

Beren

Devan:  My all time favorite female vocalist, Cat Power.

Beren:  Oh, Chan Marshall. She’s incredible. She has a new commercial, I think it’s for a car. And she’s covering David Bowie’s “Space Oddity.” It’s insanely good.

Devan:  See, and he’s my favorite male vocalist, so it’s like my favorite of two worlds coming together.

Beren:  Did your brain melt when you first heard it?

Devan:  Pretty much, yeah. I just think her voice is so unique, and if I could sound like anyone I’d want to sound like her, even though I sound like the exact opposite of her, ‘cause I’m all high and squeaky.

Beren:  I love it. Have you seen her live? She sounds exactly like she does on the record, it’s insane.

Devan:  She does, and I…Yeah, I saw her pretty recently. I didn’t get to see her back in the days when she had really bad stage fright and would run off the stage.

Beren:  I did. I saw her maybe four years ago, and she played for two and a half hours, and most of that time was spent like crying and just pounding out chords on the piano. And then she’d drink. She had a bottle of Jack Daniel’s, and she was just drinking. It was uncomfortable, but then when she would pull a song out it was amazing. It sounded so good.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Phrasal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Cat Power is Devan’s favorite female singer. Beren agrees that she has an amazing voice.

Cat Power recently covered a David Bowie song for a car commercial. She’s also done commercials for jewelry and skincare companies. It’s common for commercials to feature remakes of well-known songs. If a company can get you to associate their product with a song you love, then you’ll probably be more likely to remember that product and want to buy it.

Both Devan and Beren have seen Cat Power live. Devan saw her recently and thought she did a great job. Beren saw her several years ago, when she had a drinking problem and suffered from terrible stage fright. But even though she was a wreck on stage, her voice still sounded amazing. When she wasn’t crying or taking shots, she did an amazing job.

Which singer do you think has the best voice? Do you know anyone who had stage fright like Cat Power?

Comments

kpl

kpl

Taiwan

some one was born with a good sound , even after drunk , still makes  good tunes , others make  jokes .

05:21 AM Jun 04 2010 |

crisguimarães

Brazil

i've got Moonpix and its minimalism makes me go crazy

08:23 PM Mar 22 2010 |

koront

China

You are so beautiful, and you are so crazy,it is fashionable,ah,I have a dream to be a singer .

02:46 AM Mar 26 2009 |

koront

China

I like it , I like that feeling.It sounds good ,I feel cool!!!

02:37 AM Mar 26 2009 |

Cookie Box

Cookie Box

Japan

I expected it's a story about cats.

My Imagination is not reliable.

02:38 PM Mar 17 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I love of several femele singers,it is difficult chooses only one…but for example,The singer of the band Xandria is great!

07:53 PM Feb 20 2009 |

dj*zhou

China

i like it ,it's so  cool.it  can  gave you the special feeling!

07:38 AM Feb 20 2009 |

helcheng

helcheng

China

Fine!Are you like the singer~

01:45 AM Feb 20 2009 |

水晶豬

水晶豬

Taiwan

who can teach more?

01:36 AM Feb 20 2009 |

EstebanM

EstebanM

Colombia

I didn't know this amazing woman and, of course, her amazing voice. Thanks for the recommendation!

09:42 PM Feb 19 2009 |

ganda13

ganda13

Philippines

well 4 me,,the singer that has best voice is non other than charice pempengco( filipino-interntional singer)eventhough she is just a kid she has no stage fright and she made every filipinos proud. and bec. of her powerful and amzing voice she had a stnding ovation in most of the concert she was attended..

07:07 AM Feb 18 2009 |

ailen@yahooo.com

Philippines

low how are u??/Kiss

03:19 AM Feb 18 2009 |

ailen@yahooo.com

Philippines

low how are u??/Kiss

03:19 AM Feb 18 2009 |

helcheng

helcheng

China

I like music. Music can help me relax myself when I feel depressed. My favourit group is westlife. Their songs sound amazing and comfortable. I like them very much.

12:53 AM Feb 18 2009 |

ayul

Malaysia

yeah..me too

11:47 PM Feb 17 2009 |

www.dani_ayoo@yahoo.com

Indonesia

i can`t hear the sound 

it`s caused by the broken headset…

09:48 AM Feb 17 2009 |

ruyun80

ruyun80