Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Earth

Earth

Date: Jun 03 2009

Themes: News, Pets

Grammar: Count and Noncount Nouns

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Sometimes it’s easy to forget about how many different species and habitats there are on this planet, and what a rich and beautiful world we inhabit. Especially when we live in a city, far away from the forests and mountains and meadows, we might start to think that concrete is a natural environment, and that pigeons are the only species of birds out there.

The new documentary Earth shows us what a wild, diverse place the planet is, and reminds us that many of the earth’s amazing species and habitats are endangered and need to be protected. Listen to Marni and Dale talk about the film.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Dale

Dale

Marni:  So, Dale, did you celebrate Earth Day?

Dale:  Yes I did.

Marni:  What did you do?

Dale:  I didn’t do a darn thing.

Marni:  OK, well that’s good, you’re not driving around, not creating more pollution. I actually went and saw that film Earth.

Dale:  I’ve heard of it, I heard it was released on Earth Day.

Marni:  Yes, it was released on Earth Day, and it’s based on that whole Plant Earth series that the Discovery Channel did.

Dale:  Oh, what a great series. It took a long time to do, great footage, I mean they did some great aerial footage from planes, helicopters.

Marni:  The footage was incredible, and it really showed like all the different natural habitats and how diverse things are, and focusing on endangered species and…

Dale:  And they showed families of polar bears, elephants, whales…

Marni:  And just migration patterns, like watching all the birds. And it was just so incredible to see all that footage and experience all that. It’s like, here’s this incredible planet that we have, and this is what we are protecting. Look at how amazing it is.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Count and Noncount Nouns" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Earth Day was started in the US in 1969 to remind people how precious the planet is and encourage them to take care of the environment. It takes place each year on April 22, but not everybody celebrates it.

Marni celebrated Earth Day this year by seeing the documentary Earth. The film is based on a TV series that took four years to make and was the most expensive nature show ever produced. The film provides incredibly up-close footage of polar bears, elephants, and whales.

Are you an environmentalist? What do you think is the most beautiful place on Earth?

Comments

xcentric

xcentric

Philippines

i love beaches, i love mountains, etc.. and i love mother nature.. so we must take care of them.. and also we need to protect our mother Earth. 

04:08 PM Aug 11 2010 |

xcentric

xcentric

Philippines

i love beaches, i love mountains, etc.. and i love mother nature.. so we should be take care of it.. and also we need to protect our mother Earth.

04:00 PM Aug 11 2010 |

VOLTS

VOLTSSuper Member!

Brazil

the lessons are getting much better. it is a great evolution in the sound.
thanks fot that

09:07 AM Jun 10 2009 |

Jiggy

Jiggy

Peru

Unfortunately in my country people have not conscience about the environment, because people burn rubbish, cars throw a lot of CO 2, etc.

This is something that should learn from home also at the school. 

12:38 AM Jun 09 2009 |

1 person likes this

Josepha

Germany

First I would say "The film uses a lot of aerial footage"...Second pollution is a very important theme because we all are inhabitants on earth and we all are responsible…

03:54 PM Jun 08 2009 |

aldeem

aldeem

Saudi Arabia

I think in the future will be hard to live in same places 

so   with out Selfish let's by environmentalist 

07:57 AM Jun 08 2009 |

Mira_Memoir

Egypt

empty clean open places, natural with no noise! these are th features of my favorite place :)

01:33 PM Jun 07 2009 |

maximum...

maximum...

Russian Federation

Why people understanding their stupid activity to destroy our Earth, however do that.It`s egoistic.Yell

07:02 AM Jun 07 2009 |

IMOdraude

Brazil

I live in Brazil! One of the better places to live in…. there's no earthquake or any volcano… Moreover, Brazil has a rich environment that qualifies this place like the most beatiful place in the world! I'm proud to live in a place like that, althoutgh I live in a big city… But day after day I can live some pure air up near my college!! This is very cool!

12:35 AM Jun 07 2009 |

heeds

heeds

Jordan

we must do the best for our life

07:59 PM Jun 06 2009 |

heeds

heeds

Jordan

07:58 PM Jun 06 2009 |

heeds

heeds

Jordan

07:58 PM Jun 06 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I can't to say that I'm an environmentalist,but I take some care…I think that the better place,no,better landscape is in somewhere in Europe,I'm facinated!...In the other hand Here in Brazil there are many pretty typical tropical places and landscapes,it is different of everything in the world ;)

02:01 PM Jun 06 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I’m not an environmetalist,but I take some care :)

01:54 PM Jun 06 2009 |

kimarr_boink

South Korea

in the earth, there are so many beautfiul things and incredible things. but all the humans just polluted them and exterminate them. and we need to stop that. a nature and this earth will revenge us just like what we've done to this planet and a nature. we must not pollute them and save energy from now on.

11:48 AM Jun 05 2009 |

venomic

venomic

Azerbaijan

Yes i heard. This new planet will  replace the Pluton.

If this is true, it will be GREAT =))))

02:29 PM Jun 04 2009 |

kingsoo

China

It seems like that polar bear just finished his lunch. what did he eat? ice cream….?

02:24 PM Jun 04 2009 |

1 person likes this

Crazy_Monk

Crazy_Monk

Russian Federation

I tell u what the Earth singing about… It singing about how stuppid poeple are!!!! I’m sure! Trust me!

02:13 PM Jun 04 2009 |

ciberd7

ciberd7

Brazil

There´re a a lot of beautiful places in Earth. I live in Brazil. Here we have lots of wonderful beaches and nature and those are the best places to rest and contemplate.

01:44 PM Jun 04 2009 |

tiagon85

Brazil

There are many beautiful places, like in my country, Brazil which has many diversity spots and i haven´t even visited all of those…

12:27 AM Jun 04 2009 |

Likes (35):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast