Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Proof

Proof

Date: May 01 2006

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Gunshots rang out last week in a Detroit bar, leaving Proof (DeShaun Holton) dead. Proof was a member of Eminem’s rap group D12 and appeared with Eminem in the movie 8 Mile.

Listen to Dave and Taylor talk about Proof and violence in the hip-hop industry.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Dave

Dave

Taylor

Taylor

Dave:  You saw in the news the other day that Proof, like, one of the lead rappers on Eminem’s band D12 was shot in the head at some Detroit bar?

Taylor:  Yeah, I remember reading that, ah, he got shot in the head because he was trying to shoot the other guy in the head.

Dave:  Right, and that’s funny: he pulled his gun first and started shooting.

Taylor:  Right.

Dave:  But, so, this, like, hip-hop violence, I mean, is not unique to, like, Detroit or L.A. It’s not something new.

Taylor:  No.

Dave:  It’s kind of always been around.

Taylor:  Yeah. It’s a lot of chest-thumping, it seems to me.

Dave:  Right. Well, and it’s all about being the alpha male.

Taylor:  The alpha male, top dog.

Dave:  And hip-hop is filled with that. Even the lyrics, it’s all about “I’m better than you!” and “My car is faster than yours! My house is bigger than yours!”

Taylor:  Let’s say you, Dave, were a star rapper. You’re very popular, but, ah, the crowd that appreciates you have some doubts about your ability to keep it real. So let’s say you’re in a bar. You’re this star rapper, and you see this other guy who “done you wrong” in the past. Would you whip out that pistol and go for it?

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Eminem and his group D12 have not had it easy. Eminem and other members of the group have been arrested a bunch of times for fighting and carrying guns. Obie Trice, another member of D12, was shot and wounded while driving down a highway in Detroit. Proof is the second person in the group to be killed. In 1999, another member of D12 named Bugz was killed during a picnic at a Detroit park.

Violence has been a problem in the music industry for a long time, though it seems to be more common among hip-hop and rap artists. A few years ago, two rap icons – 2Pac and Notorious B.I.G. – were killed. Last year, Jam Master Jay, from the group Run DMC was killed in his recording studio. His death sparked a group of “raptivists” – people who want to improve the image of hip hop music – to start cleaning up the hip hop industry.

What do you think of hip hop violence? Do you see other entertainers – movie stars, authors, stage performers – being violent as well?

Comments

不懦

China

Good!!!MY  QQ:466214039,ahe….

07:08 AM Jan 06 2008 |

ebru77

Germany

hi

03:11 PM Dec 06 2007 |

liu fu xing

China

1. Everybady is ok,speak loudly.

03:35 AM Nov 26 2007 |

christlee

christlee

China

yeah, musicians are not to be fighters . they come to be the people to run for music and enjoy themselves and people all who like them .but why will they kill each other ? it is not good .

01:32 AM Nov 26 2007 |

christlee

christlee

China

well ,i really don’t know what to say about it .violence is really the wrost thing in the world. and wish people can apriciate life and live better

01:27 AM Nov 26 2007 |

jaycee

Philippines

Violence is not good and brings a lot of problem. Why don’t we just spread love and peace

06:17 AM Nov 24 2007 |

amourluv

Gambia

sory for that.hip hop is cool

12:22 PM Nov 23 2007 |

yana011

yana011

Philippines

ah yeah, hip hop violence so common even here in our country (phils) anywhere theres a violence, it make me upset,. so sad…

05:47 AM Nov 19 2007 |

蓝色星云

蓝色星云

China

very  good !  come  on !baby!!!!

01:06 PM Nov 18 2007 |

zhao bo

zhao bo

China

THAT'S BETTER TO HEARING HIS MUSIC..

05:26 AM Nov 17 2007 |

SHIRLOBED

Kenya

i think think the hip hop violence will never cease untill the musicians unite and start treating each other like brothers. What good does one have when he or she kills someone, guilt until the day one dies. So please musicians should organise and form a forum where they discuss their differences.

08:31 AM Nov 16 2007 |

lilmaro'

Egypt

who can belive..??!! in hiphop carreir they do that to be stars..listen most of r n b' songs u ll fined thise violence.. hits smacks shoots kill..bloW too..more guns ..

look to eminem and kim u ll now wht i mean??in reallty thay say that only muslims have thise violence..only muslim is killer..

shit' !!

11:35 AM Nov 15 2007 |

包小娜

China

good

12:13 PM Nov 14 2007 |

包小娜

China

Smile

12:12 PM Nov 14 2007 |

mfjudon

China

Fewer violence and more peace in the world. Especially, in the art field, we just enjoy it and protect the artist.

09:05 AM Nov 12 2007 |

Juny_uk

Thailand

It is good write.

12:49 PM Nov 10 2007 |

brahim85

brahim85

Morocco

is it real he dead ?????? tell me plz

11:18 AM Nov 02 2007 |

superchillhout

Panama

KOOL

12:35 PM Oct 31 2007 |

barbin

China

very wonderful. if provide the original sing was better .

02:22 AM Oct 31 2007 |

shanie

shanie

China

that is supposed to, but there is always someone like to be chest-thumping…

06:38 PM Oct 29 2007 |

Likes (50):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast