Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Bruno Mars
Bruno Mars

Adjectives in English

Date: Apr 04 2011

Themes: Music

Grammar: Adjectives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Bruno Mars’ own songs have become so popular lately, it’s easy to forget the fact that he started out writing songs for other artists. Before releasing his first album, Doo-Wops and Hooligans, Mars helped make hits for Kesha, K’naan, and Cee Lo Green.

Bruno’s own music is a mix of many different styles, from reggae to Motown to hip hop. He’s poppy and catchy enough to appeal to a wide audience, but his music is also heartfelt. Find out why Ella is dying to see Bruno Mars perform live.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Ella

Ella

Devan

Devan

Ella:  I’m really excited to see Bruno Mars in concert someday.

Devan:  Yeah, I hear he puts on a pretty amazing live performance. Doesn’t he kind of have like the doo-wop, Motown thing going on?

Ella:  Yeah, he has a really like…his voice is a little unique, it’s a little soothing. You can always sing and dance to his music.

Devan:  Didn’t he write songs for Kesha and Cee Lo?

Ella:  Yes, he’s a pretty good producer, but I definitely like his own music. Like his latest song, “Grenade,” that’s a pretty popular one right now. And the lyrics are so heartfelt.

Devan:  So his music is sincere, but it also is something you can dance to?

Ella:  Yeah, it’s sincere, catchy...There’s plenty of reasons he’s popular. Apparently he’s very charismatic. He used to be in the Disney scene.

Devan:  He’s another Mickey Mouse Club kid?

Ella:  Supposedly. Something like that. I don’t remember how, but yeah, he had some start with Disney. He has a clean image.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Adjectives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Ella is a big fan of Bruno Mars. She really hopes to see him in concert one day. She and Devan have both heard that he is a very charismatic performer who puts on fun live shows.

Bruno Mars has made music with artists like Cee Lo Green and Kesha. But Ella likes his own songs best. She especially likes his song “Grenade.”

Ella tells Devan that Bruno’s songs are catchy and fun to dance to. But they are also sincere. He seems like he has a clean and sensitive image.

Do you think it’s more important for songs to be catchy or sincere? What other artists make music that is really heartfelt?

Comments

munisa alimatova

Uzbekistan

Bruno Mars! he has a really talented singer. his songs so Motown but one side so reggae. in my opinion. i like his many songs. especially “When i was your Man”.))))

01:33 PM Jan 21 2014 |

munisa alimatova

Uzbekistan

stylish also so interesting.

01:29 PM Jan 21 2014 |

munisa alimatova

Uzbekistan

Bruno mars

Bruno mars! hi has a really talented singer. his songs so Motown but one side so reggae. in my opinion. i like his many songs. especially” When i was your Man”.))))))))

01:28 PM Jan 21 2014 |

Mk-Babar

Mk-Babar

Pakistan

Anybody interested to practice English and to share knowledge.. add me at skype.. We will have chating, voice calls, conference calls.
skype id: cruiser40403

11:43 AM Jan 19 2013 |

DominikLi

DominikLi

China

Bruno is soooooooo famous in students at my age in my country.

11:27 AM Jan 19 2013 |

Jasmine Nilar

Myanmar

yes i like bruno….. songs are cute

Kiss

10:48 AM Jan 23 2012 |

1 person likes this

ola33

ola33

Japan

Yeah, he’s very popular now. I hear him a lot while driving to work. And the songs like Grenade, It will rain, The lazy song, Lighters are among the first downloads in teen’s players.

07:40 PM Jan 20 2012 |

Mariluz Ramirez

Colombia

I like both, the music is a very nice way to learn english, and when you sing a song that is catchy is good , but if this one is sincere is beter .

11:00 PM Aug 09 2011 |

5fischer

Germany

I love Bruno Mars, he is a got singer and his songs are the bests

11:08 AM Jul 03 2011 |

princess No

Saudi Arabia

catchy and sincere both are imprtant 4 songs & indeed I like Granade’s songs Laughing

10:05 PM Jun 24 2011 |

treys

treys

Colombia

granade is pretty good but i like more taking to the moon

10:37 PM Jun 21 2011 |

Milii

Milii

Argentina

Granade is a sad song but i like it and his song are good! 

10:07 PM Jun 17 2011 |

Rina|Kiki

Rina|Kiki

Russian Federation

I think for a good song it’s important to be catchy and sincere.
And by the way, I also like Bruno Mars. “The Lazy Song” is my favorite. :)

12:59 PM May 31 2011 |

tiffanyg2145

United States

i love u bruno mars da songs i like: just the way you are, grenade, lazy song… ;)

02:43 PM May 23 2011 |

1 person likes this

isabel139

isabel139

Peru

In my opinion both are important for songs, but mainly to be catchy. There are a lot of artist who make music really heartfelt :))

By the way I like Bruno Mars also :)))

08:17 PM May 08 2011 |

Xome

Xome

Colombia

Love his songs!!!

07:05 PM Apr 18 2011 |

Futuristic

Futuristic

Philippines

He's music is amazing. he is really a  good performer, song writer, a genius of his own craft. A talented man with a good heart and spirit.Keep it up!! 

01:14 AM Apr 10 2011 |

Samantha0804

China

Bruno Mars is really a great performer and all his songs are fantastic! The song “Grenade” is also my favourite and I am longing for more his products. By the way his MV is quite creative!

01:44 PM Apr 07 2011 |

barbeque

barbeque

Hungary

Hy, Bruno Mars is a young talented performer, he have  very emotional voice and his songs are melodics

10:08 AM Apr 07 2011 |

Vina Novalina

Indonesia

Wuahh I love Bruno Mars much… he is awesome. Bruno, life is beautiful, so do ur voice , thanks for God give u this talent and sharing with us^, so damn love it.

Yeahh i think catchy and sincere are important of song, i just mean we shouldnt try to understand the music but just enjoy it^

04:57 PM Apr 06 2011 |

Likes (41):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast