简体
The Muppets
布偶

Past Progressive Tense

Date: Jan 04 2012

Themes: Family

Grammar: Past Progressive Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

There’s nothing flashy about the Muppets. They’re just good, old-fashioned, fuzzy animal puppets. But kids love them. And adults who grew up watching them love them, too.

In the new movie, The Muppets, Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Gonzo and the rest of the Muppets are back. Along with Jason Segel and Amy Adams, they have to try to save their old theater from being destroyed. Hear Marni and Amy talk about the movie, and about their favorite characters from when they were kids.

布偶没有任何引人注意之处。它们只是很好的老式毛绒动物玩具。但却深受孩子们的喜爱。而且,从小观看布偶表演长大的成年人也喜爱它们。
在新片《布偶》中,青蛙卡米特 (Kermit the Frog)、猪小姐 (Miss Piggy)、冒失鬼 (Gonzo) 和其他布偶明星们又将与我们重聚。它们与杰森·西格尔 (Jason Segel) 和艾米·亚当斯 (Amy Adams) 一起,不得不为拯救它们的旧剧场免遭破坏而进行各种尝试。请听玛尼和艾米谈论该部电影,以及她们在孩童时代最喜欢的角色。

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Amy

Amy

Marni:  I am so excited about the new Muppets movie. Have you seen it?

Amy:  I have, and it was really great.

Marni:  It’s really great, right? And I love the Muppets from childhood, grew up with the Muppets, have seen every Muppet movie. And when I heard Jason Segel, who I also really am a fan of, wrote the new Muppets script as well as starring in it, I was very, very excited about it.

Amy:  I know. It definitely has enough adult humor, or humor that adults can appreciate, but is still really fun for little kids. I kind of felt guilty about going to see it without a small child or felt a little bit weird about it, but I just went anyway, and I really loved it.

Marni:  Yeah. No guilt needed. It’s definitely for people of all ages, and I was watching it and I just got really nostalgic for when I was younger and I would watch The Muppets or Sesame Street. Just those characters.

Amy:  Definitely. I grew up with…especially Sesame Street. I mean, the Muppets in general, too, but I learned how to read watching Sesame Street. Those characters from your childhood that you just loved when you were a kid really stick with you.

Marni:  Absolutely.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Past Progressive Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Amy and Marni both saw The Muppets. They agree that the movie is not just for kids. It has some humor that adults can enjoy too. Adults who remember the Muppets from their childhoods will especially appreciate the new film.

Amy and Marni grew up watching the TV show The Muppets as well as Sesame Street, which has a lot of Muppet characters on it. They both have nostalgic feelings for the characters, which made them enjoy the new Muppets movie even more.

What characters did you love as a child?

Comments

sara1998

sara1998

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I didn’t like muppets at all!

It’s rediculous…

09:01 AM Aug 20 2014 |

princessanika

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

i wanna tell u a little stoey about Jim Henson,he worked with puppets.

he was born Sebtember1936.the year was 1954 the Kermit frog was born the same year.Jim made the puppet from his mother’s old green coat;)he cut the ping pong ball in half and the to pieces became Kermit’s eyes.this cheerul puppet was always Jim’s favorite.

Henson invented many more famous puppets(among them Miss Pigy,Big Bird,Cookie Monster,Ernie and Bert) they were calles the muppets.

Jim Henson the muppets show was show around the world and became one of the most widely watched TV programs.

in May 1990 Jim Henson died suddenly at the age of 53.but today cause his son Brian there are even more muppets and more TV shows.and his douther Cherly directs a puppet festival with puppets from aa around the world.so the muppets live on.:)

02:46 PM Dec 17 2012 |

Nina__smith

Australia

i know a muppet his name is Kermit i love his cartoonWink

01:39 PM Oct 20 2012 |

marwa89

marwa89

Syrian Arab Republic

i can remember these characters and i watched them when i was child,it is so nice to remember our childhood coz it is the only innocent stage in our live,but no time to watch the muppets these days.

i like Tom and JerryTongue out

11:33 PM Jan 06 2012 |

julito

julito

Argentina

Candy, you read my mind,  But we might be a little unfair to the mouse ,who wants to be  beaten up.  jejejeCry 

08:30 PM Jan 06 2012 |

Gobsmacker

Germany

Hmmm…I’ve never really watched the Muppets and I don’t really think they’re my kind of thing but who knows!? Might as well have a look. I remember liking the Teletubbies (I know, I know…:)) and also enjoying the Tweenies and Pingu but I didn’t watch a lot of TV when I was little so there aren’t any special characters that had an influence on me or I was brought up with. I prefered books :)

09:06 PM Jan 04 2012 |

i love life

Palestinian Territory, Occupied

All of us need to remember our childhood specially when we were grew up .

I think the most persiod was a enjoyment when we were kids everything was easy 

when we grow up our lives become differnt more than before .

I prefer life in the past more than now .

I dont like watch souch kind of  programs on Tv but for kids very useful for thier life I guess we should give the children confidence from childhood period .

I love characters of child humor I dont like the children who they are crying all the time or there are some children very gloomy I prefering the children who give us our comfortable .

often we use our children like puppet to made funy .

we cant compare our life with present now .

08:25 PM Jan 04 2012 |

nezar bnj

nezar bnj

Morocco

in fact the muppets are so nice and its can takes us to another world accourding the silent movements and the humor …well it’s so diffecult to see life without muppets

08:13 PM Jan 04 2012 |

Sami Aswad

Sami Aswad

Iraq

I’m nt interested in this muppets this ,bt my younest sister really love therm  :D

07:48 PM Jan 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Who knows? Maybe….....Smile

05:22 PM Jan 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

(: , will do.

it might inspire me ….

05:20 PM Jan 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Hiking is interesting matter, indeed. Please see the link on my page. The link will show you a little bit how the nature of my country is look like and it will show you some kinds of animals and birds in our forests

05:18 PM Jan 04 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

yeah? I’d love a little hiking , what about the animals; any exotic  one?. Nature (animal & plants) is the main excuse I need to hop on a plane .

05:13 PM Jan 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Belarus would be perfect if it has everything I like :waterfalls, sea, mountains, lakes, rivers and forests within itSmile

05:12 PM Jan 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Unfotunately, Belarus it is not a touristic country. Belarus has got nothing except forests around…... The deep forest is our home Smile

05:09 PM Jan 04 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

Haha!, something about countries in Europe I love;  they are like grey areas between past and modern days.

Why not Belarus (:

05:02 PM Jan 04 2012 |

1 person likes this

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Rome is amazing, indeed ( from the words of our friends, that have been thereSmile

04:55 PM Jan 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

If I mentioned Belarus you would have a strong urge to visit it too after Italy?Laughing  (I’m jokingLaughing) I’m really glad for you that you have been  in nice places (hopefully all over the world). Travelling is a great pleasure!

04:54 PM Jan 04 2012 |

snoopyboy

snoopyboy

Antarctica

I lived there for 8 – 9 months before. But now that you mentioned Italy… I have a strong urge to go visit Rome…(:

04:47 PM Jan 04 2012 |

kotlesya

kotlesya

Belarus

Have you ever been there before?

04:45 PM Jan 04 2012 |

Likes (21):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace