Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

girl next door

简体
girl next door
邻家女孩

Date: Jul 25 2013

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

“She lived right above me, the girl next door.”
- Actor Ryan Gosling on former Mickey Mouse Club co-star Britney Spears (Us Weekly)

“她就住在我楼上,是个邻家女孩。”

- 演员瑞恩·高斯林 (Ryan Gosling) 谈论《米老鼠俱乐部》(Mickey Mouse Club) 中的前搭档布兰妮·斯皮尔斯 (Britney Spears)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

nice, friendly, cute girl

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

What were your neighbors like when you were growing up? Some of them may have been old, and some of them may have been young. Some of them might have been friendly, and some of them mean. Chances are that at least one of your neighbors just seemed, well, normal. The boy or girl next door may have just been a perfectly average, nice person.

When you use the phrase girl next door, that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s your neighbor. It just means that she represents those normal, nice, safe qualities. Someone who was really wild, for example, might not be considered a girl next door type, while someone who was well-behaved, cute, and got good grades might be.

Ryan Gosling did actually live next to Britney Spears at one point, but his statement is a little ironic. Now we don’t think of Britney Spears as a girl next door type, because she is pretty wild. Gosling is implying that not only did she used to be his neighbor, but she also used to be more innocent.

Is there someone in your life you’d think of as a boy or girl next door type? Describe him or her.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“Well, she’s not a supermodel, but I like her. She has that girl next door appeal.”

“I always thought she was just a girl next door type, but it turns out she can get pretty wild. “

“His hope is to marry the girl next door. He’s very traditional. “

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

It refers to a nice wholesome girl. A girl who is not slutty, someone sweet. who is nice, quiet, kinda shy, easy-going.
by zhaleh hoor
cubi1604 A nice and likable girl that every boy likes
by cubi1604
Julissita A simple person.
by Julissita

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

linjoy

linjoy

China

MY ex-wife is very nice and tranditional, She is my girl next door, I am so sorrow to lose her.

11:54 PM Jul 25 2013 |

panictx

panictx

South Korea

I also had a girl next door. I can say that she is my wife. I’ve never seen such a fair skin and pure heart like her. Since I was a middle school student, I was contantly in love with her. At last, we got married as a result of many years love.

10:40 PM Jul 25 2013 |

haitham4vip

Egypt

i met her

02:22 PM Jul 25 2013 |

Jasonlongo

Jasonlongo

Congo, Democratic Republic Of The

I’m still young and I have a girl next door that I really like to be in serious relationship with them, girl next door !!!

10:28 AM Jul 25 2013 |

am.h768

am.h768

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I have a lots of friends who are girl next door for me, but sometimes some of them get wild.I mean really wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10:02 AM Jul 25 2013 |

1 person likes this

whipiry

whipiry

South Korea

a girl next door….superfically, she looks pretty, cute and adorable…she could be a friend to the neighbours . 

09:32 AM Jul 25 2013 |

linjoy

linjoy

China

I really loved my girls next door. They were cute and beautiful.

But now both of them got married and have kids.

I am so sorry to miss them.

I just get divorced. I dream that one day my girl next door will come to me again.

08:08 AM Jul 25 2013 |

kenlin16

kenlin16

Taiwan

<!-[if gte mso 9]><xml>
<o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
<o:AllowPNG/>
</o:OfficeDocumentSettings>
</xml><![endif]
->

These days if you are lucky enough, you might get a girl or boy next door. Mostly, my neighbors aren’t very nice. It’s because I live in the market place where businesses and home are crowded and intersected together. People’s interests are frequently clashed because of that. For example, parking scooters or cars in front of someone’s home or business are mostly the problem. Nobody wants a scooter or a car blocks his own entry so people frequently get in the fight because of that. Well, the poor country, the poor laws, it results in the agony in everyone’s ass.

04:57 AM Jul 25 2013 |

dungnguyen

Viet Nam

i am a girl next door

04:12 AM Jul 25 2013 |

Ashley336

Ashley336

China

so i can say,i am a girl next door type,LoL.

03:31 AM Jul 25 2013 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

Oh, I know him, a Canadian actor. A boy next door :)

01:14 AM Jul 25 2013 |

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast