Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in
improve your vocabulary with radheshy ( MANIA )

improve your vocabulary with radheshy ( MANIA )

Date: Oct 26 2007

Topic: Vocabulary

Author: radheshy

Lesson

Hey dear friends love you all welcome to this simple and easy but interesting vocabulary improving lesson. A few days ago I was talking with shanie, she has got intermediate level English but she says sometimes she lacks of words, she is trying hard to improve her Vocabulary And I think sometime else or other almost all of us face this kind of problem, don't we? Whether we'd be native English Speaker or not, Sometimes we want to say something but we don't find the exact word, isn't it? Somehow else or other we express ourselves. If you face this kind of problem then this lesson is only for you with some interesting words. again welcome to the lesson " Improve your Vocabulary with Radheshy "!

Today's lesson is about " MANIA " (excessive excitement enthusiasm; craze: The country has mania for soccer. ) There are so many kinds of people are around us. The probe into the complex organism called the human mind reveals how mysterious the ways of human nature are. Some develop MANIA, a compulsive or morbid preoccupation with some impulse or activity e.g., compulsive stealing is called 'kleptomania ' Did you know what's called " a morbid obsession with oneself ? a morbid compulsion to drink ? a mania for talking? " Here is the list of some interesting Manias :                 

1. Bibliomania -obsession with rare books                                      

2. Demonomania -a morbid delusion of being under the influence of an evil spirit

3. Dispomania - a morbid compulsion to drink                                                 

4. Dromomania -a morbid compulsion for travel                                               

5. Egomania - a morbid obsession with oneself                                                

6. Graphomania - a morbid mania for writing                                                   

7. Hypomania -a mild manic excitment

8. Kleptomania - a morbid compulsion to steal

9. Logomania - a mania for talking

10. Macromania - a delusion that one's body has become very big

11. Micromania - a delusion that one's body has become very small

12. Monomania - single fixed obsession

13. Nymphomania - excessive sexual desire in a female

14. Pseudomania - a mania for making false and exaggerated statement

15. Pyromania -compulsion to set fire for thrill

16. Scribblomania- a mania for making meaningless marks on paper

17. Theomania - a delusion that one has become a god

18. Agromania - an intense to be alone or put in the open

19. Necromania - an irresistble attraction to dead bodies

Now think which kind of mania you or the people around you have, start thinking that and pls add some more manias which you know now dear friend if you find these words interesting enough to add them to your vocabulary then try to memorise them and try use them so you could make your knowledge solid * Was this lesson useful ? Yes or No whatever you think pls let me know so i could make cool changes to the lesson which suit you. :)

Comments

wishtolearn

El Salvador

this is the most useless lesson i have ever seen on englishbaby website. Shame!!! There should have been at least a little daily life vocabulary but actually theres nothing to learn from this lesson!!!!!

10:42 PM Sep 19 2010 |

pence'e

Egypt

I like it but i need some words more useful for me .. 

I am in English literature Department in Cairo University .. but i want more vocabulary to use it in this college .. thanks a lot :D

01:53 PM May 01 2010 |

ASHLY

ASHLY

Somalia

thanks … it's so intersting topic …  Laughing 

08:22 PM Apr 13 2008 |

funky(C)

Turkey

• helooo do you believe in love at the first sığht or ı close eyes again open :D:D::):)

07:34 AM Apr 13 2008 |

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

Mania for learning english

12:28 PM Apr 12 2008 |

SÉRGIO

SÉRGIO

Brazil

I think i match the item 4!!

12:28 PM Apr 12 2008 |

zaloe

zaloe

Indonesia

i like this topic but honestly it is hrd for me to understand it all…but i'll read it again 2 or 3 times

thanks anyway!!

10:46 AM Apr 12 2008 |

LUNG

China

• Thanks for radhesr bringing us such a interesting   lesson .It is hard for me to remember  all these useful  words,but,I think ,practice makes perfect.

10:54 PM Apr 11 2008 |

ashoush_78

Egypt

cant understand too

11:42 AM Apr 11 2008 |

peaceful mind

United Arab Emirates

I think the words are difficult to remember because I can't find any sort of link between the wrod and its meaning. I wish there is some kind of way to memorise those terminologies.

10:02 AM Apr 11 2008 |

engineer_veysel

Turkey

its the first comment here…i will try to find which mania…

06:50 AM Apr 11 2008 |

nedhe

nedhe

India

it was really very intresting lesson…...difficult to remember but not impossible…..i will try my best….................

06:57 AM Apr 10 2008 |

feng kuang de fei

China

cool, I like this course.

02:27 PM Apr 09 2008 |

crystine

India

hi!!!!! i am deepika from india .. i want to improve my english with ur guidance

10:30 AM Apr 09 2008 |

antoney

India

it was realy interseting lessons.
thank you

04:06 AM Apr 09 2008 |

Yulduz

Uzbekistan

yeah, that's interesting. I know some peope with Logomania

05:59 PM Apr 08 2008 |

cynthia_Verdin

Mexico