Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Classical Literature
Classical Literature

Learn English with this reading English lesson

Date: Sep 04 2018

Themes: Hobbies

Grammar: Second Conditional

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

What makes a book classical literature? Excellent writing, of course, but it’s something else, too. It might be a perfect example of a particular style of writing, or perhaps describe a country or a time in fine detail. On the other hand, some people believe a book is only a true classic if it was written by the ancient Greeks or Romans.

Each country has its own must-read classics, too. Books that are considered fundamental in literature classes in Korea are probably different than the quintessential novels of Latvia. Are there any examples of classical literature that everyone agrees upon? Perhaps not, but maybe that’s OK. Even if a person spent her whole life reading, she could never read them all.

What piece of classical literature is Marni suggesting for Rafael to read? Find out in today’s English lesson about writing.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Rafael

Rafael

Marni:  So Rafael, I’ve been reading a little Jane Austen recently.

Rafael:  Awesome.

Marni:  Pride and Prejudice.

Rafael:  Nice.

Marni:  I just love classical literature. Don’t you?

Rafael:  I’ve kind of been more into a modern phase. I’ve been reading a lot of Haruki Murakami, actually. He’s one of Japan’s foremost contemporary authors.

Marni:  Interesting.

Rafael:  I would say he’s a must-read.

Marni:  OK. There’s such a long list of what would be considered classical literature. There are so many books that I want to read that I just stick with the classics.

Rafael:  OK, Marni. So if I were to get into classical literature, what would you describe as a fundamental reading list?

Marni:  Rafa, I guess if you’re thinking of the quintessential classic piece of literature, you might say Moby Dick, right? It’s a classic. Everybody has to read it.

Rafael:  Cool.

Marni:  “Call me Ishmael.”

Rafael:  I’ll check that out.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Second Conditional" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni enjoys reading, but only classical literature. It’s not that she doesn’t want to read the work of today’s writers, but there are too many to choose from. Instead, Marni makes it simpler for herself by only reading from her list of classical books. As an example, she appreciates the writing of Jane Austen.

Rafael prefers modern literature. He’s reading a novel by Haruki Murakami who he thinks is a fantastic writer. Rafael tells Marni that Murakami is a must-read, in fact. He has little interest in classical literature, but he does ask Marni for a suggestion.

Do you read classical literature? Who are your favorite authors? What is the best book you’ve ever read?

Comments

La Princesse de la vie

Egypt

I love Jane Austen writings, Jane Eyre can be the best I’ve read for her, but Pride & Prejudice is still a masterpiece.

10:00 PM Sep 08 2018 |

paloma233333

China

chinese literature is wonderful.so i feel sad in that many people in ths world still cannot read and understand them.chinese is so different .to be a translator is no easy thing .

08:33 AM Oct 20 2014 |

1 person likes this

waterbender

Belarus

i fond of classical literature. Moreover i’m sure nowadays there are no so good writers in comparing with authors who lived many years ago. A perfect style of writing in my point of view.

most of all i like Russian classic books as “War and peace” or “Crime and Punishment”.

07:54 PM Sep 20 2014 |

vik32

vik32

India

i dont read books much as i feel bit boring. i just started reading pride and prejudice by jane austen and finding it good as of now. i have read some of sydney shldon books which were fantastic.

07:42 AM Sep 13 2014 |

S&W

S&W

China

i like classical literature,haruku murakami is one of my favorate writter.there is another book named CONSUELO like my old friend from middle school.

04:33 AM Sep 09 2014 |

2 people like this

Aluke

Aluke

Nigeria

Well, you know how people claim to be familiar with classical literature just so they’d be perceived as being sophisticated and worldly? I have to confess that in the not so distant past I’ve also tried to be in that category myself. But any time I pick up one of the foremost authors of what may be referred to as the quintessential samples of classical literature, like Shakespeare or Charles Dickens, I find these books too ‘dense’ and cumbersome for my liking. I battle with their ancient english and I lose interest in no time. This is why I resigned to the more modern works, sticking with the ones that I can understand and enjoy with minimal external commentary. And in cases where the classics have movie adaptation I try to watch the adaption so I don’t feel completely left out in experiencing stories so great they have been immortalised thus. 

11:25 PM Sep 08 2014 |

Aluke

Aluke

Nigeria

Well, you know how people claim to be familiar with classical literature just so they’d be perceived as being sophisticated and worldly? I have to confess that in the not so distant past I’ve also tried to be in that category myself. But any time I pick up one of the foremost authors of what may be referred to as the quintessential samples of classical literature, like Shakespeare or Charles Dickens, I find these books too ‘dense’ and cumbersome for my liking. I battle with their ancient english and I lose interest in no time. This is why I resigned to the more modern works, sticking with the ones that I can understand and enjoy with minimal external commentary. And in cases where the classics have movie adaptation I try to watch the adaption so I don’t feel completely left out in experiencing stories so great they have been immortalised thus. 

11:25 PM Sep 08 2014 |

1 person likes this

Seiyf_khawas

Turkey

everything begins with love…what a beautiful phrase !!!

yesss, reading begins with love …if you love reading ,all literature doors open for you ..

Classical literature presents you very different stories..many different characters ..unbelievable events..

when you enter into classical literature,you can walk with heroes..its a great journey ..

10:14 PM Sep 08 2014 |

ola33

ola33

Japan

What makes a book classical. Talent!  For me it’s Somerset Maugham. Love his short stories. Not boring, true to life and shockingly revealing about human beautiful, ugly, kind, evil nature. And the classic word from the lesson I want to use — Somerset Maugham is a quintessential English gentleman!:)

09:55 PM Sep 08 2014 |

Marcel We

Marcel We

Germany

Currently, I’m reading “The Count of Monte Christo” by Alexandre Dumas. It’s an adventure novel by author Alexandre Dumas. It’s the most interesting book I’ve ever read and therefore my favourite too, but as tamago has already mentioned “the catcher in the rye” is also a great book.

09:40 PM Sep 08 2014 |

2 people like this

nourelyakine

Algeria

Yes I read classic literature, Victor Hugo, many of us read the novel, the famous (Les Miserables), which turned into a film from 1909, when it appeared character (Jean Valjean) on the big screen in an American film which carries the same title as the novel (Les Misérables) through to where in 2000 appeared in the French television

05:17 PM Sep 08 2014 |

tamago

tamago

Japan

My favorite book is “the catcher in the rye”.
And also love reading Haruki Murakami.

10:14 AM Sep 08 2014 |

2 people like this

Moses10

Moses10

Saudi Arabia

I think reading classical literature is good, and it can be very informative for the reader about prior generations. I prefer modern literature, however.

07:37 AM Sep 08 2014 |

mshare

mshare

Saudi Arabia

I dont know about this topic too much, but I think people are no longer interested in literature compared with years ago. Nowadays, they’er busy with some other things, I think the new technology is one of them that pulled the rug from under the literature, tough news and hard stories also are being more important and quintessential recently than classical literature for many people.

01:39 AM Sep 08 2014 |

Likes (22):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast