Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Jump the Gun
Jump the Gun English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of ‘jump the gun’

Date: Aug 22 2017

Themes: Soap Opera

Grammar: Present Perfect Tense

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Have you ever made a quick decision that you definitely regretted? Maybe, you saw a cute puppy for sale, and you decided to pack the puppy all the way home. But when you got home, your housemate told you that he is allergic to dogs. Your housemate insisted that you return the cute puppy. Or maybe, you got angry and yelled at your friend because she didn’t come to your party. Later, she explained that she was on her way. Then, her car broke down and she was too far away to walk.

If you have ever acted too quickly, then you have jumped the gun. Jump the gun is an expression that comes from track and field races. The race is supposed to start when the gun goes off. Some racers will get nervous and start running before they hear the gun. So, they jump the gun. Jumping the gun is a pretty easy thing to do.

Andy wants to get to the park really early. Watch as Andy realizes that he may have jumped the gun.

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Kelsey

Kelsey

Jordin

Jordin

Andy_H:  Hi, Kelsey.

Kelsey:  Andy, where are you?

Andy_H:  Well, I may have jumped the gun a little. We’re definitely the first people here.

Kelsey:  Well, Dominique park.d the car really far away, so now we have to pack everything across the park.

Andy_H:  Um… I’m on… well, it’s kind of hard to explain. I’m on the west side, right by the reservoir. And I’m kind of by where the small trees turn into larger trees, and the other trees are…

Kelsey:  It’s fine, Andy. We are on our way over there.

Andy_H:  OK. I can come meet you if…. Hello? Kelsey? Typical! OK… Yeah! Hello!

Jordin:  Hey, Andy. Where are you?

Andy_H:  Well, we may have jumped the gun a little bit by getting here so early.

Jordin:  We? You insisted!

Andy_H:  OK, I’ll admit, I did insist on being early. But I’m pretty excited for tonight, and I wanted to get a good view. And I may have made us get here a little early. Anyways, I’m really easy to find because I am the only one here. I’m near the reservoir.

Jordin:  OK, be there in a minute.

Andy_H:  OK, and don’t worry, we’re going to have an awe…. Hello? Jordin? Typical! Yeah! This is going to be a perfect view. It’s going to be a good view! Nobody heard that.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Present Perfect Tense" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Andy arrives very early to the park. He is looking for the perfect spot to get a good view. Kelsey calls him to find out where he is. He tells her that he may have jumped the gun a little bit. He is the only one at the park. Kelsey tells him they are on their way over and hangs up the phone. Andy lays out his picnic blanket and gets comfortable.

Then, Jordin calls Andy to find out where he is. He tells her that he is really easy to find because he is the only one there. He is near the reservoir. Jordin says she will be there in a minute and hangs up the phone. Andy is pretty excited about the perfect view.

When were you really excited about something? Did it cause you to jump the gun?

Comments

fcf515

fcf515

Taiwan

I get excited about things easily and almost  jump the gun until my husband holds me back.:-(

01:28 AM Nov 29 2017 |

eduardosoutoSuper Member!

Brazil

I get very excited easily about anything in my life, but I don’t remember if I have already jumped the gun! :P

09:35 PM Sep 03 2017 |

hermitlady

China

Many things can make me excited .  exam, competition, travelling, and so on..

Usually it didn’t cause me to jump the gun. But it must cause me excited that not to sleep early. ..it made me not sleep.

07:28 AM Aug 22 2017 |

meyban

meyban

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Hi. I want to share with you some personal thing. It,s about my fiance. Actually She jumed the gun in every thing in her life. It,s bothering me. but she is my choice and I have to accept it. 

06:52 AM Aug 22 2017 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast