Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

I Love You, Man

I Love You, Man

Date: Apr 29 2009

Themes: Friend

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Guys who are sweet, sensitive and good at talking about their feelings make great boyfriends. But they might have a harder time maintaining friendships with other dudes. That’s the idea behind I Love You, Man, a new comedy about a friendless fiancee played by Paul Rudd who has to find a best man in time for his wedding.

Jason and Mason (who share a pretty close man-friendship themselves) have both seen I Love You, Man. Find out what they think about the movie and making friends.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Jason

Jason

Mason

Mason

Jason:  What else has Jason Segel been in? I just saw I Love You, Man.

Mason:  He was in like all of Judd Apatow’s early stuff.

Jason:  Man, he was so good in that. So hilarious, just being that really slobby roommate guy.

Mason:  Yeah, I don’t know why, but I think he’s a lot like that in real life.

Jason:  I just thought that was cool, you know, when the whole movie’s about the guy on the quest to find his best man.

Mason:  Sure.

Jason:  And it’s like you couldn’t do better than that guy for a guy friend.

Mason:  Yeah. It’s funny, you know, all these new movies are taking these comedic approaches to stuff that people kind of aren’t talking about. Like it really is hard for guys to find platonic friends.

Jason:  Yeah, and it was a good take on the romantic comedy. Sort of a platonic friendship version of a romantic comedy.

Mason:  So, like, what kind of weird guy friend dates have you been on? ‘Cause I’ve definitely made new friends deliberately and been like, “You and I are gonna’ go on a guy-date. It’s just what needs to happen.”

Jason:  I guess one of the weirdest ones was just going to the park with my friend and his two-year-old son as one of our first man-dates. How ‘bout you?

Mason:  It was like go to someone’s house to cook a dinner. It was very shi-shi. Yeah.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Jason and Mason both just saw the new comedy I Love You, Man. In the movie, Jason Segel plays Sydney Fife, a slobby bachelor who teaches the main character, Peter Klaven, all about the joys of man-friendship. Jason and Mason both thought that Segel did an excellent job in the film.

Mason thinks that making new friends is difficult for guys. It’s very common for women to get to know each other over drinks or coffee. But it can be awkward for a guy to ask another guy he’s just met to hang out with him. Jason and Mason have both had awkward man-dates in the past.

Do you think it’s hard for guys to make new friends? Who would you ask to be the best man at your wedding?

Comments

DadsHome

Albania

For Room Painting please visit

http://www.dadshomeimprovement.com/Painting.html

03:32 PM Feb 27 2014 |

amel pan

Algeria

for me each country has his own thought…...and it up to the person himself

01:36 PM Oct 24 2011 |

soso66

soso66

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

Man-dates is usual in my life, because it can decrease the stress and I can get some advise from my friends to solved problems in my life.

06:28 PM Oct 22 2011 |

tonydang3120

Viet Nam

i've not seen this movie yet, but i think it's cool.

A guy-date ?!! It sounds good . anyone ?! hahah

02:10 AM Mar 20 2011 |

tiger_bagira

Greece

NICE

11:18 AM Nov 14 2010 |

dordzhik

dordzhik

Russian Federation

Hello everybody! I am from Russia. I like studing English and Chinese.

02:17 PM Jul 13 2010 |

stellababy55

United States

Greetings,Am stella,a romantic and
attractive girl i will
like to hav a relationship
with u I believe we
can move from here!,
Remember that age,
distance or colour does
not matter,but love
matters most in life.
just write to my
id()
so that I can send to
you my photos.

04:05 PM May 24 2010 |

remis300

United States

Hi,Good Day
My name is  Miss remis , I saw your profile today at www.englishbaby.com and was moved and become interested in you, I will like you to send me an email to my addressso that i can give you my pictures for you to know whom i am.
I believed we can move from here?  Remember colour or distance does not matter but LOVE matters allot in life). Reply me back with my email address please arange this email anc contat me hope to hear from you soon
yours  Miss remis()

05:27 PM May 07 2010 |

betsi mari cordoba moreno

Colombia

i think not understand

10:05 PM Aug 16 2009 |

aslı irem

Turkey

I THİNK YOU UNDERSTAND ME NOT TRUE I WANT SPEAK FOR DEVELOPİNG MY ENGLISH :)

10:08 AM Jun 13 2009 |

othman ahmaro

Jordan

May I ask you sofree what do you mean by maid of honor.

01:34 PM May 07 2009 |

sofree

sofree

China

Haha, I didn't realize that before.

Indeed, it's a little weird if a guy ask another guy go out, it's ok for little boys, but strange for adults.

It's not easy for me to make new friends after work, my best friends are with me since I was in school. When things involved with benefits and career, the friendship is hard to keep pure.

I would like to invite some old friends as my maid of honor. But I think most of them already married, married girls can't be maid of honor in China. So sometimes people just ask some single coworkers or whoever not married as their best man or maid of honor. I might invite my cousin if I don't have much choices.

07:36 AM May 07 2009 |

Priscyla

Brazil

yaeh I agree with Abiel, I'm not so good in making friends but I have some… For me sometimes is difficult to shoe my feelings!!!

05:05 PM May 04 2009 |

abiel.luiz

abiel.luiz

Brazil

To make new friends depends on the personality of each one and not necessarily on the sex.

12:54 PM May 04 2009 |

1 person likes this

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I’

09:38 AM May 04 2009 |

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

I have no any difficulty in making new friends…It must be because I'm totally outgoing…And hanging out with a friend to meet new friends is cool :)

09:38 AM May 04 2009 |

othman ahmaro

Jordan

For me a man to love another man is unaccepted religiously or socially. This is the main reason for the spreading of AIDS. So we should fight this phenomena

08:12 PM May 03 2009 |

akacsan

akacsan

United States

For me also. I dont get it, is it about homosexuals?

07:37 PM May 03 2009 |

Rufita

Rufita

Kazakhstan

this lesson is hard for me, i don't knowFrown

04:20 PM May 03 2009 |

akhil777

India

hello i m akhilesh i want to speak english in  a continuous manor .. some one suggest me.

08:12 AM May 03 2009 |

Likes (27):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast