Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Curing Cancer
Curing Cancer

Learn about "used to do" and "be used to"

Date: Nov 05 2010

Grammar: Used to Do vs Be Used to

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Cancer is a disease that affects people of every age, race, and nationality. And although the methods for treating and preventing cancer have become more and more advanced, there is still no cure for the disease.

Recently, a huge group of celebrities including Rihanna, Jake Gyllenhaal and Miley Cyrus, teamed up to try to change that. They took part in “Stand Up to Cancer” a TV special that raised money to help fight the disease. Find out why the special gave Marni and Jason hope.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jason

Jason

Marni:  So Jason, did you happen to catch the benefit show “Stand Up to Cancer”?

Jason:  How could you not? It was on every channel.

Marni:  Exactly. I only caught parts of it, but it seemed like it was very successful.

Jason:  Yeah.

Marni:  And obviously, it was a fundraiser to find a cure for cancer, which is a disease that is plaguing millions, not just in this country, but all over the world. And I think it was a really cool thing that all these celebrities and musicians got involved.

Jason:  And it was interesting to see how all those people you’re used to seeing in movies and stuff like that have connections to people who have had cancer, you know, they’d be wearing a shirt that said “In Memory of Mom” or something like that. It really does touch everyone, even these untouchable celebrities.

Marni:  Absolutely.

Jason:  And you know, it really spoke to me too…it gave me hope I guess because they compared it to polio. And I had never thought of it that way. They made the argument that cancer can be our generation’s polio, you know?

Marni:  Sure.

Jason:  ‘Cause a few generations before us that was this horrible, scary, incurable disease, and they had the March of Dimes, a huge fundraiser, and it got cured.

Marni:  Absolutely, yeah. So there is hope.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Used to Do vs Be Used to" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni and Jason recently watched the fundraiser “Stand Up to Cancer.” The benefit show was on three different channels, and the purpose of the show was to raise money to develop new ways of treating cancer.

Jason thought it was interesting that so many of the celebrities who appeared on the show had been touched by cancer. Even if they hadn’t had cancer themselves, they knew somebody close to them who’d had the disease. Sometimes we think of celebrities as living in a completely separate world from us, but cancer affects everyone.

“Stand Up to Cancer” offered some hope about the disease. It reminded Jason that there have been other diseases in the past such as polio that seemed incurable. But eventually, a cure was discovered. So maybe a cure for cancer will be discovered one day, too.

Do you know anyone who was affected by cancer? What can we do to help fight cancer?

Comments

Marcelolic

Marcelolic

Brazil

Oh yeah certainly I knew some people and acquaintances that passed in my life and cancer is still a sad disease 'cause have no cure completely…

10:27 AM Jan 17 2011 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

Folly that there is no cure yet

02:03 PM Nov 08 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

certainly a major cause and   secondary cause

02:01 PM Nov 08 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

mobhomeir

Sometimes the cause is unknown 

01:58 PM Nov 08 2010 |

kukuka

kukuka

Ukraine

I know many people both alive and dead now, who suffered cancer in the past. I think the best way to avoid it is to try live a healthy life. Stop smoking and drinking and regular training sessions should help, i think.

12:27 PM Nov 08 2010 |

SHAHBAZ

SHAHBAZ

India

CANCER IS A KIND OF DISEASE WHICH IS INCURABLE  .THE BEST THING IS IS PREVENTION .WE SHOULD EAT GOOD FOODS LOTS OF VEGETABLES EVERY DAY AND KEEP AWAY THIS HORRIBLE DISEASE FROM US

09:24 PM Nov 07 2010 |

poko

Antigua and Barbuda

We know only disease, it is incurable but we can keep  hope.May be in near future, we ll get its remedy.we lost lots of people all over the world in every year.Most of the cases we see ,many people diagnosed at the late  stage.It is horrible.5We should change our life style .Should pick up healthy life style.

03:39 PM Nov 07 2010 |

ancsy

ancsy

Hungary

Everyone has to believe  in curing and doesn't live stressful life. We have to pay attention of each other and live in harmony. There would be no disease. :)

02:44 PM Nov 07 2010 |

dragonwarrior

China

I saw a movie" ON THE AIR "  today . There is  a dialogue like this .  Servent : do you want  a cancer .    the man was puzzled and stared at  her .  The servent relized it and  said it slowly : do you want a can sir ?   ... wow .. if  someone asks you  do you want cancer , it is really horrible thing . ...

01:03 PM Nov 07 2010 |

amany7

amany7

Saudi Arabia

I don't  know any one affected by cancer but I wish a good health for every one

we have to race the awareness about this disease and support as much as we could. :( 

11:45 PM Nov 06 2010 |

mobhomeir

mobhomeir

Philippines

Yes I agree. It's a silent killer that anytime would strike regardless of races  and ages. When it is detected the disease already spread out in the body which doctors categorically diagnosed it. Some may be genetic cause but in nowadays most likely it is from our diet lifestyle. It would may be too late to cure if not detected earlier. The best thing that a man can do protect from cancer causing diseases is to prevention. How? Change unhealthy diet to healthy one.

Prevention is better than cure… 

10:41 PM Nov 06 2010 |

charming princess

Saudi Arabia

Yeah. i agree. Cancer is like the polio of our generation. I can name many people whom we lost for cancer. It is a sad thing. The problem is that cancer is still can't be diagnosed properly. I lost my friend for cancer recently. Doctors did not know that she had cancer at first and thought it was something else. I can't help but pray for her. My other friend also lost her mother for cancer a year ago. I really hope we can find a cure for cancer so that we do not lose our loved ones for this disease anymore.

05:30 PM Nov 06 2010 |

ruanjable

ruanjable

China

With great power, comes great responsibility. That's what  the celebrity should to the public. I love the show "Stand up 2 cancer"

02:31 PM Nov 06 2010 |

Ryo

Ryo

Saudi Arabia

where  is the song?

11:35 AM Nov 06 2010 |

killed-softly

United Arab Emirates

I love this song ! i think it gives hope !! <3

11:21 AM Nov 06 2010 |

Zaccarias

Zaccarias

Brazil

Usually where none suffers, none cares. Never wait to have any kind of disease to start to help. Because we never knows when we'll need the same help. Send thy vitailles over the waters, and so shalt thou find them after many years.  Give it away among seven or eight, for thou knowest not what misery shall come upon earth. When the clouds are full, they pour out rain upon the earth. And when the tree falleth (whether it be toward the South or North) in what place soever it fall, there it lieth. (Ec 11:1-3) May God bless you all

07:19 PM Nov 05 2010 |

ebarillas

Guatemala

although these are terrible illnesses I think that sometimes they are provoked by the very humans themselves because they don`t care about health so they don´t do exercise or eat healthy at least, but i recognize that others have a history in family of suffering this kind of illnesses , they muy have faith in God and Jesus Crist as they are the creators of all things how can an illness be more than them but people only believe in the money the have and also believe in God but just as someone who only punishes or not very close to them

07:16 PM Nov 05 2010 |

masiran

masiran

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

my aunt has been affected by cancer she is suffering alot  and her expensive medications are also the other problem it's so hard situation i hope to see her well oneday and every one like her too

02:50 PM Nov 05 2010 |

spacedragon

Brazil

all help against cancer is welcome !!!!!

01:27 PM Nov 05 2010 |

Jib_fbk

Jib_fbk

Thailand

Do u know HBV?is it incurable disease?

12:25 PM Nov 05 2010 |

Likes (20):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace